The Storyteller Catalysts Group
We were founded and continue to be funded through BedfordHouse, a community ministry of the United Church. We continue to be guided and coached by Bedford House and Bridges Peterborough facilitators with our shared societal goal of changing the conversation about poverty to extend beyond money.
Once a month the Storytellers host Neighbours Network gathering to connect with our community we are building. The Network also serves as an open invitation to those interested in being part of our community or wanting to create their own community and become change-makers in the interest of changing the conversation around poverty.
Key focus of The Storytellers Group project
- To be catalysts for social change that allows people living in poverty to lead more humanistic lives.
- To provide audiences a catalyst for making positive steps toward changing their attitudes about poverty.
- To use our stories to provide a catalyst for people to delve deeper into the simple steps we can take to make people’s lives right in front of us better.
Interested in Joining the Storytellers?
Wo are we?
We are a group of Storytellers honing our craft, speaking our truths about life in Canada being poor - or “living in Canada while being poor” or “life in poverty in Canada.”. Our goal is to target larger institutions with our stories where we humanize the issue of poverty.
We operate out of Bedford House and Bridges Peterborough and bring with us all that they offer! The Bridging Teams experience provides a model for groups, churches, or organizations to better connect with their most marginalized members.
Our stories will also spark the interest in our Bridging Teams. Some of our members will dedicate themselves to facilitating the next crew of “Catalysts” (people currently living in poverty) and community members wanting to be participants in positive social change.
Learn more about the Storyteller Catalysts Group
What we are offering:
Bridges Peterborough has an opportunity to create a small team of storytellers in support of developing a Neighbour Network; reducing stigma, isolation, and barriers to a stable life.
Bridges Peterborough is growing relationships for the eradication of poverty’s destabilizing effects on our community’s health.
- Storyteller Intern (You will be a catalyst and ambassador toward changing the conversation around poverty)
- Lived experience with poverty (generational or situational)
- Understanding of Bridges Out of Poverty and or Getting Ahead in a Just Getting by World concepts: (eg. 4 causes of poverty / hidden rules of class / 11 essential resources)
- Able to articulate through personal stories the above concepts.
- Available some daytime hours for team meetings / occasional evenings and wknds for speaking engagements.
- Interested in working and learning in a small team to develop materials.
- Working effectively in a small team
- Helping to develop written materials
- Helping develop interactive workshops
- Attend and speak at various community engagements re: Bridging Teams and Changing the Conversation about Poverty.
Bedford House, 551 Aylmer Street North, Peterborough, ON
Send an email-of-interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov 1st.